Towards the end of July (2008), Seth and I thought it would be a good time to remodel the guest room. I use the guest room as an office, and I was pretty excited to have a "nice" room in which to spend my days. So we measured the room, made the trip to the local hardware store and bought drywall (sheetrock), plaster (joint compound), and drywall screws.
We came home to discover the sheer weight of drywall. There was no way that the two of us could put up a whole sheet by ourselves. (I am not strong enough.) So, we had to cut them in half, and then I could hold them above my head and onto the ceiling for a long enough time period for Seth to get enough screws in to hold it. What a relief when I could finally let go of one! After a few sheets I thought my arms would fall off! Once we got the drywall on the ceiling we had to plaster all the seams, remove all the woodwork, and start taking the painted over wallpaper off of the wall. What a mess that room became! Plaster dust, strips of wallpaper and splinters of wood covered the floor.
We came home to discover the sheer weight of drywall. There was no way that the two of us could put up a whole sheet by ourselves. (I am not strong enough.) So, we had to cut them in half, and then I could hold them above my head and onto the ceiling for a long enough time period for Seth to get enough screws in to hold it. What a relief when I could finally let go of one! After a few sheets I thought my arms would fall off! Once we got the drywall on the ceiling we had to plaster all the seams, remove all the woodwork, and start taking the painted over wallpaper off of the wall. What a mess that room became! Plaster dust, strips of wallpaper and splinters of wood covered the floor.
I worked on plastering the ceiling and the walls while Seth worked (in the basement) on new window moldings and trim around the floor and door. After a few months of being lazy I finally finished the plastering and got to priming, and painting. You may recall my indecision about a paint color. Look at these horrendously ugly window moldings, and the dirty white color on the wall! With such a pretty yard to look out at, this room doesn't deserve to be so ugly.
I went through four different colors before I found the most perfectly pale creamy yellow. The first color was too green. The second was too yellow. The third was too brown, and the fourth! Well, the fourth was perfect. Here we see Seth installing his brand new window moldings, with the final color on the walls. Sorry it is dark out, but some of us have to work for a living.
Here is another picture after we finished both windows, and put the curtain rods up!
Now it is time for the greatest part! Decorating! It was fun to move the furniture back in and make the room look nice. I bought a new lamp (made in Vermont) because we couldn't install the ceiling fan/light until we got the electric redone.
Finally, here are some pictures of the whole room turned back into an office/guest room. We are officially ready for guests! (Or, one guest at least, this room is only big enough for a twin bed. But we do have a full size futon in the living room.)
I think it looks about a trillion times better, and it is a very relaxing place to work during the day. Hopefully (Mom and Paul can vouch for this) it is also a nice place to sleep and be our guest!







No comments:
Post a Comment