08 September 2010

How Did I Get So Tan? Evergreen

The moment we pulled in to Evergreen resort was an interesting one this year. We were an hour and a half late for dinner, my butt hurt more than I'd ever imagined was possible (I'd been standing on the foot-pegs of my motorcycle for the last four hours or so because my butt hurt from sitting on my insanely stiff motorcycle seat, but had to sit down at red lights, stop signs, and when my thighs started to ache). My brain was completely fried from taking in and dealing with so much sensory information all day. As soon as I saw the sign at the end of the driveway my heart skipped a beat, and the smile returned to my road weary face.

As we passed the lodge I saw Paul, Julie and Kris walking towards us and waving, and I almost didn't even care. (Almost.) My highest priority was to get off that blasted motorcycle! We made our way slowly (painfully slowly) to the cabin, parked, and got off -  deliberately, sorely. I carefully took the helmet off of my pinched head, removed the gloves from my strangled hands and let my weary gaze rest on the sparkling water of the peaceful Lake Huron. 

Photo by The One and Only Paul F. Schroder, 2008, after successfully summoning the clouds.

I had forgotten how hungry I was, until the last remaining whiffs of dinner floated into my nostrils. My brain managed to register that my neglected dinner would be delicious and it became the top priority!

The yorkshire pudding, roast beef and green beans were indeed delicious. And the company was excellent!

The next day was Father's Day, and after lunch we played a rip-roaring game of volleyball. It seems there is always one person in this game who actually cares to win. That person is never me, but he was on my team, and I think I played better because of it. Well, I tried harder because of it. As usual, I didn't play all that well and felt maybe they were doing better before I joined, until I served. My underhanded serve is apparently a sleeper, and never fails to make a few points. People usually look at me in astonishment!

Anyway, I don't remember who won, but it was fun, and sandy! Afterward we cooled off in the pool (or did we warm up in the pool? I can't remember if the water was hot or cold that day). Evergreen's pool is so relaxing. You float around staring at a crystal blue sky, listening to the wind rustle through the birch trees and the shrieks of the children at play (and "the outboard motors, chugging down the bay"). Then you get smacked in the side of a head with a beach ball that someone threw at you. (Ahem. Someone here being Kris or Paul. Or Seth now. Why did I bring him again?) Oh! Apparently we're playing a game here. We looked at the clock to see that it was almost time for dinner, and the old familiar thought wandered into everyone's minds (except Seth, because he's never been before): "It is only SUNDAY! We get to do this ALL WEEK!"

At night we played cards. Usually "Oh Heck," which has mysteriously turned into "Oh Hell" now that we are all old enough to hear such words uttered out of our parents' mouths, so that everybody could join in the fun. (Oh Hell allows many, many players and is pretty easy to teach.) Doesn't Julie look excited? If not, it is probably because Kris is undoubtedly cheating.


During the day we did lots of things. Mostly, we played cards. (Are you shocked?) The highlight of our card playing silliness was when Kris, Paul, Seth and I were playing spades one afternoon. Kris, who was my partner, went Blind Nil (bidding that he would get zero tricks before looking at his cards) and Paul, who was Seth's partner, also went Blind Nil. Talk about suspense! Paul is so afraid in this picture! The hand took forever because we couldn't stop laughing long enough to play our turns. Maybe Paul can fill us in on who made it and who didn't, because I apparently have a knack for forgetting the outcome of competitive matches.


On Wednesday morning Paul joined the kiddies for some fun in the sun. He braved the early morning hour (10am), the frigid lake, chilly air and the scorching sun for some water skiing and tubing. Unfortunately he skedaddled out the door before anyone could rouse themselves out of slumber enough to remind him to put sunscreen on, and he got toasted pretty quickly. Look! Paul's the tallest kid on the raft!


Later in the week Seth and I rented a motorboat. :-O I always thought you needed an adult for this, but it turns out some people consider me an adult! Darcy was giving us the temporary boating license run down, and I felt like I was really getting away with something. Surely he remembered that I'm just one of those kids who admires his mad dance skills, and maybe he was just letting me sneak out on a motorboat? Seth must look like he knows what he's doing. Anyway, we took Dad and Cindy out after dinner and had a great time! I haven't been out on Lake Huron in a motorboat in ages! The water is so clear! Seth was flabbergasted by the clearness of the water. We spent some time looking for the shipwreck, but didn't find it. Seth really thought we would find it, I knew better. (We've never found it before, I didn't see why Seth's presence would change that...)




Oh Evergreen, how I miss you!

This island was gross though. I'm glad I don't live on it! I couldn't take swarming bugs.


I love this picture...


According to my research, that bird is a Double Crested  Cormorant.


We stayed out for a while...

One night no one showed up for Cheesetime, so we had other snacks instead. (Other, in this sentence, should be said in as snooty a tone as possible.) When Cindy went to bed, Dad and I taught Paul and Seth how to play 500. It was the only game of 500 of the entire week, which was sad. (Lana! Laurie! Jody! Anne! We need you back!)

It appears that Seth is the only person in this picture who doesn't have a mouthful of snacks. Shocking!


 This year's table:



Uh-Oh, I had forgotten about these. I was not enthused. (I am now though! So enthused that I am trying to talk Seth into a cross-country motorcycle honeymoon to see the Redwoods, while he maintains that a tour of Europe would be more appropriate.)



Stay tuned for more gory details about our wonderful, exciting, and non-eventful trip home.

5 comments:

  1. I love how apparently, Evergreen will always make you feel like a kid again!

    Perhaps all you need is a nice cushy seat for your motorcycle! Then you would follow Seth anywhere.

    Do you know I have a killer underhanded volleyball serve too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you blogged this - I missed Evergreen this year but at least now I can pretend I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trip back from Evergreen just sounds miserable! Although, I couldn't stop laughing during the story:) I miss going to Evergreen too:( I am really hoping that if we can't make it next year, I am definitely going the following year. Bart is ready to bring Tyler and the rest of the family does not want to miss this, so it will be soon, very soon! (And I think I might go with or without Andrew depending on his crazy schedule)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, It is funny that you say you bring books on your motorcycle, it must be a girl thing. My mom's sewing partner Janet also rides with her husband. Apparently she is like you, because she will read a book while he drives. And when she is not reading, she is knitting! I would love to have a picture of that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She reads on the back of a motorcycle! And knits! That is awesome. One time we saw a woman on the back of a motorcycle taking a picture, and I was jealous that they get pictures of all the places they go, instead of cartoons, because she rides with him, instead of by herself. (Like me!)

    The day you guys come back to Evergreen will be a very happy day, indeed!

    ReplyDelete