Last summer.
Seth and I had just returned from our motorcycle adventures in Canada and we were settling nicely back into our summer routine. Nothing was any different than it ever had been, and everything was wonderful. Calm, happy, sunny, warm. Vermont. Summer.
Him. Me.
We cooked dinner and ate in the dining room. (Normally, we eat on the couch watching TV. It seems Seth was not allowed to do this as a child and therefore considers it an act of freedom.) I love eating at the table becasue it is easier to talk, and to enjoy the lingering summer twilight. That night we lingered, speaking of life, philosophy, love.
Seth wanted to know how he was supposed to surprise me with an engagement ring if he didn't know my ring size. He said the jeweler told him they couldn't do much without knowing the size. I wanted to know what he meant by such a question.
He wanted to know if I would marry him, I wanted to know if he was joking.
He wasn't joking.
A smile spread across my face and filled my soul. Nothing was really different than it had ever been, but everything was even more wonderful than ever.

"A smile spread across my face and filled my soul," is so beautifully written and also fills my heart with happiness for you!
ReplyDeleteOh, Jeez. And I thought I was weepy from reading about the fabric buying trip to NYC. sigh happy sniffle
ReplyDelete