Dear Friends and Family,
This year has been a lot of
work but mostly a lot of fun. Winter in Vermont was looking pretty bleak last
year. For the first time ever we had season passes at Sugarbush Resort and we
were glad we did, because there wasn’t enough snow to ski some of our favorite
backcountry locations. As the winter passed and the snow refused to fall we
decided to take a mini vacation to Jackson Hole in February to make sure we got
our fill of skiing for the year.
The week before we left
Vermont finally got some good snow, and Seth and I took advantage of it to
practice for our western adventure. Seth took me to the tip top of Castle Rock
Peak and we immediately left the ski run to play in the woods. The trees were
so tightly packed and the slope so steep that after every turn I had to sit and
think about where I could go next. After an hour or so we were a quarter of the
way down the mountain, and I decided it would be easier just to slide down on
my butt. I took my snowboard off and started sliding. It worked for a few
minutes until I sank and had to dig myself back out. Further down the mountain
the terrain became more undulating. I had to gain enough speed while I was
turning downhill through the trees to make it back to the top of little uphill
sections that popped up unexpectedly. It was a classic New England ski run. When
we finally emerged at the bottom, caked with snow and with twigs and pine cones
sticking out here and there, I took my snowboard off and told Seth I’d meet him
in the bar when he was done torturing himself.
We flew into Jackson Hole
during a raging blizzard. Our plane was the last to make it in that day, and
when we touched down we were engulfed in a cloud of snow from the runway. When
we finally skidded to a stop, the passengers all erupted into spontaneous
applause for our amazing pilot. We left the airport and the Grand Tetons
greeted us once again. (This picture was actually taken right before we left, not during the blizzard.)
When we made it to the top of the mountain on the Jackson Hole tram, we skied down the first bowl in at least a foot of new powder. I thought I might have accidentally jumped off of the mountain and into a cloud. When we finally stopped for a breath I grinned at Seth and said “we need to live here.” He heartily agreed and we spent the last half day of our time there jaunting about and looking at houses.
We celebrated our first anniversary in April! It was kind of humorous, as neither of us really had any ideas about what one should do on an anniversary of this kind. We ended up grilling on our deck (which Seth built last year) and sipping champagne that we received on our wedding day. We lounged and talked and watched the sun set through the filtered light of our maple tree. We watched the stars come out and finally decided to go in. While Spring had won the battle for day Winter was quickly making a comeback as night fell.
On the way back from Colorado
we were in Kentucky for a week. Meetings at work made us realize that really,
after all that, we need to move home. That’s the last place we’ve been, so we’re
still planning on moving to Kentucky this summer. (Although we have a trip to
Bangladesh scheduled this spring. We’ll keep you posted.)
We still have a lot of work to do before we can sell our house. Seth tore down the gararge this summer, and built a shed to take its place. We replaced our front door, which was literally coming unhinged, and will have to make the entry area presentable in the spring. We’re almost finished remodeling the kitchen, and then we’ll start on the living room. One more room to go! It is our fondest hope that once we sell this house we’ll never have to drywall or plaster another inch. I’m sure it’s not very realistic, but hey, a girl can dream!
Love,
Joanna & Seth
And Thunder







Seth never smiles so big as when he's in Wyoming.
ReplyDelete