19 April 2013

To Life! :: Part 3

Wow. What a crazy week. While the world has watched, horrified, as nearly ever day has passed with terrible news, I have been insulated and safe, feeling how lucky I am to still be celebrating life in my own small ways.

Saturday, just as we were preparing to leave for our second showing our realtor called to tell us we had an offer! We made quick plans to talk later, packed Thunder up and went for a joyous romp on one of our favorite ancient roads in Vermont. The road is lined with old hand-built rock walls, which run through so many New England fields and forests. There is even an old farmhouse foundation along the road at one point. It was sunny but brisk (we had gotten a lovely layer of snow overnight), and we were delirious with excitement.


Sunday our realtor treated us to breakfast where we signed a contract for a full price sale of our house with a closing on June 21st. Seth doesn't technically get out of school til the 17th so we requested a few extra days to pack up and clear out. Clearly our buyer is very generous.

Monday of course was a terrible day, but I managed to find beauty in my tulips, which were slowly opening up. Hopefully you don't find that vulgar, for me it was necessary and honest.


Tuesday of course was our second anniversary. We celebrated in fine SchroderCohen fashion by cooking up some amazing steaks. Since it was rainy and blustery (gosh I can't remember the last time it was stormy on April 16th!) we had an indoor cookout with candles and hurricane lamps. While we were cooking UPS dropped off a box of Graeters' Ice Cream! Thanks Mitchell! Our wedding playlist crooned in the background, and it was (obviously) the perfect soundtrack to the evening. My AMAZING husband got me a beautiful bouquet of flowers and tickets to a live recording of Says You, my favorite NPR show where contestants play word games, make witty puns and generally speak with utmost correctness. I guess he knows me pretty well. For dessert we had Graeter's Vanilla Chip smothered in Cohen's Back Yard Maple Syrple. It was so delicious.

This lovely bouquet reminded me of my bridesmaids flowers!


I'm most taken by the lovely layers of the rose:


Today is the day of our inspection, and Seth took Thunder to the park while I worked at a coffee shop. (I had to get 'dressed up' this morning for my outing!) The buyer has decided to do a radon test, which means we have to keep the windows and doors closed until its finished. It's pretty terrible timing, in my opinion, since today it's actually supposed to get up to 72 degrees and nothing would be more delightful than throwing each and every window and door wide open and airing the house out. Next week its back down to low 50s and rain.

News from the Back Yard:

Things have really taken off at the bird feeder this week. Every time I walk to the kitchen to get more coffee, a drink of water, lunch, (whatever), I look out the window to find a gaggle of animals enjoying themselves at or under our feeder. One day I looked out to find six Dark Eyed Juncos, Two Mourning Doves, a Squirrel, and a scattering of Chickadees. The next day I looked out to see TEN Dark Eyed Juncos, a Cowbird, a Mourning Dove, and the same scatter of Chickadees. While I watched a White Breasted Nuthatch flew up, and then a Tufted Titmouse. I got a picture of the Cowbird for ID confirmation from Mom, but he's pretty ugly and I enjoy the motion in this shot better:


Mom and I have a conspiracy theory going that this is not actually a Cowbird, but is one of her dreaded Starlings, who put on a winter coat and hat and flew up to plague me. Here's the ugly picture... you might as well see it!


No comments:

Post a Comment